NUCAFE, the National Union of Coffee Agribusinesses and Farm Enterprises is an Umbrella National Coffee Farmers’ Organization founded way back in 1995. NUCAFE has relentlessly empowered and organized smallholder coffee farmers who have using the Farmer Ownership Model to assume more roles and functions within the coffee value chain for enhanced productivity, value addition, profitability and policy advocacy. NUCAFE has grown its membership to over 188 farmer organizations that represent over 200,000 farming households and more than 1,000,000 individual smallholder coffee farmers from all coffee growing regions in Uganda.
NUCAFE, using the Farmer Ownership Model has enabled farmers upgrade along the value chain for enhanced productivity, value addition and profitability. Over the years, NUCAFE has registered significant landmarks as a champion in offering exceptionally high quality coffees at its own coffee shop right at the centre of Kampala city and to its high end market off takers locally and internationally. Using this model, NUCAFE has made enormous investment across the entire value chain from the coffee nurseries, farmer groups, bulking, processing, roasting and packaging through the Centre for Agribusiness and Farm Entrepreneurship Enhancement (CAFÉ) as well as export.
“Coffee Farmers profitably own their coffee along the coffee value chain for sustainable livelihoods, consumer satisfaction and societal transformation”
“To establish a market-driven system of coffee farmer enterprises and organizations which are empowered to increase their household incomes through enhanced entrepreneurship and innovation”
Achievements, Recognition and Awards
NUCAFE has been recognized by many national, regional and international networks and agencies. NUCAFE has received annual awards and certificates including:
- NUCAFE has won several high quality coffee excellence for Uganda’s annual Taste of Harvest by EAFCA, UCDA and CQI.
- NUCAFE won the Highest Entrepreneurship award of the consortium of Makerere University, National Agricultural Research Institute and NUCAFE.
- NUCAFE won the 2013 Africa Farmer Organization of Year Award in the category of income diversity by AGRA.
- NUCAFE won the Best Inclusive Agri-business Model of the Year 2013 In East Africa.
- NUCAFE Executive Director was elected Ashoka Fellow by the US based global network of Social Entrepreneurs.
- NUCAFE Executive Director also won the Africa Agricultural Role Model 2013 by a Consortium of Universities; Michigan State University, Makerere University, Stellenboch Univerity, University of Pritoria.
- NUCAFE won the Best Rural Association of the year award 2015 by Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU).
- NUCAFE has also just won the Kenyan Entrepreneurship Showcase Impact award 2016.
- Recognized with Investor of Year award 2015.
NUCAFE coffee was recognized the best beaverage at the annual CBS PeWoSa exhibition
For more information about NUCAFE, visit their website: www.nucafe.org